When you perform a search on a search engine, it will display a list of web pages that are relevant to your query. This list is known as the search engine results page or SERP. The SERP will usually include links to websites, as well as titles and snippets of content.
The ranking of a website on SERPs corresponds to its position in the search engine’s index relative to other websites. A website’s rank is an important factor in determining whether it will be seen by users, as well as how likely users are to click on it. In general, websites that appear higher up on SERPs are more likely to get clicks and traffic than those that appear lower down. Therefore, it is essential for website owners and online marketers to understand both how SERPs work and how they can improve their website’s rank.
There are two types of content that can be displayed on SERPs: advertisements (paid results) or organically ranked pages (organic results).
- Paid results or advertisements. Paid results are the first links displayed on the search engine results page through a strategy called pay-per-click (PPC) marketing. With PPC, a company pays a fee to rank its page at the top, typically above or to the right of organic links.
- Organic search results. Organic search results are placed beneath the ads on search engine results pages. Their placement on Google SERPs is determined based on its algorithm. The algorithm uses different ranking factors to determine which web pages are the most relevant and useful for a particular search query. These relevancy rankings are then used to determine the organic order of the SERP. The higher a web page is ranked on the SERP, the more likely it is to be clicked on by users.
- Intended SERPs. When you do a search on Google, you’ll notice that some of the results are indented, or offset from the left margin. These indented results are called SERP features, and they’re a great way to get your brand more exposure. This means that your website appears twice on the first page of results, which can lead to a significant increase in traffic. If your site already has a good SEO ranking, you’re more likely to get indented along with the main search engine results page, pushing your competition further down.
To achieve an indented listing, start by identifying web pages that are already visible on the first page of the SERPs. Next, create new content that relates to these pages, optimising the new page with the same keywords as the original. Finally, link the two pages together with your keyword phrase in the anchor text. By following these steps, you can improve your website’s chances of securing an indented listing on the SERPs.
Understanding SERP Features and How to Rank For Them
When you perform a Google search, you’re probably used to seeing the normal blue links that take you to different websites. Have you ever noticed other features on the page, like images, maps, or definitions? These are called SERP features, and they’re there to enhance your search experience by providing more information without clicking through to a website.
SERP features can include everything from stock prices and weather forecasts to product listings and maps. And because they’re included on the search results page, they’re easy for you to access without having to visit a website.
The average person spends only a fraction of a second looking at each result in a search engine before clicking on one, so it’s important to make sure your site is designed to take advantage of every opportunity to stand out. Here are the most common SERP features and how your site can rank for each:
- Featured Snippets: Featured snippets are the box that appears at the top of the SERP with a summary of the answer to the user’s query. To rank for a featured snippet, your content must be well-researched and relevant to the user’s query. In addition, your content must be formatted in such a way that it can be easily extracted by the search engine.
- Knowledge Graphs: A knowledge graph is a collection of information about a particular topic that is displayed on the right-hand side of the SERP. To appear in a knowledge graph, your site must be registered with Google’s Freebase database. In addition, you must provide structured data on your website that can be used to populate the knowledge graph.
- Local Pack: The local pack is a section of the SERP that displays results for local businesses. To appear in the local pack, your business must be registered with Google My Business and have accurate NAP (name, address, phone number) information. In addition, your website must be optimised for local keywords and contain positive customer reviews.
- Video Pack: A video pack appears in the search results when someone searches for a term that triggers video results. To rank in a video pack, upload engaging videos to your site or YouTube channel and optimise them with descriptive titles and tags. You should also focus on building backlinks from other high-authority sites.
- Related Questions: One of the most common SERP features is the Related Questions feature. This displays a list of questions that Google believes might be related to the search. To rank for this SERP feature, your site needs to have content that answers these questions.
By taking advantage of all these different SERP features, you can ensure that your website gets seen by as many people as possible.
More Ways for Increasing Your Google Search Results Visibility
Here are some tried-and-true strategies that can help you to improve your website’s ranking:
- Research For Keywords. Keywords are the terms that users enter into a search engine when they are looking for something specific. Identify the keywords that are relevant to your business and make sure to include them in your website content, titles, and tags.
- Make Analysis and Improvements. If you want your website to rank highly on search engine results pages, it’s important to stay up-to-date with the latest algorithm changes. Search engines are always tweaking their algorithms in order to provide users with the most relevant and high-quality results possible. As a result, what may have worked in the past may no longer be effective. That’s why it’s important to continuously monitor, analyse and refine your data.
- Partnering with an affordable SEO. A good SEO firm can help optimise your website for both users and search engines, making it more likely to appear in SERPs.
- Rank Well on Mobile Search Engines. Don’t forget to optimise your site for mobile devices, as more and more people are using their phones and tablets to search the web. By following these tips, you can help ensure that your website is visible to potential customers who are looking for what you have to offer.
- Create good content. Well-written and informative content is also important for achieving a high rank on SERPs. Websites with content that is relevant to users’ queries and easy to read are more likely to rank higher than those with poorly written or irrelevant content.
By understanding how these features work and how to optimise your website for them, you can ensure that your website always appears prominently on Google’s search results pages.
Take Control of the SERPs Right Now.
Are you looking for a reliable marketing partner that can help you increase your Google search results visibility? Look no further than Star Digital Marketing! We are a leading digital marketing agency that specialises in helping businesses improve their online presence.
Star Digital Marketing can increase your visibility and get you ranking where you need to be. We understand how important it is for businesses to be seen online and we will work tirelessly to make sure your business is at the top of the search results.
When you work with us, you can expect:
- Improved visibility and increased traffic to your website
- More leads and conversions
- A higher ROI from your digital marketing spend
Don’t miss out on potential customers because you’re not visible online. Contact Star Digital Marketing today and let us help you get the exposure you deserve.