In the world of search engine optimisation, there is always something new to learn. Just when you think you’ve figured out the most recent algorithm changes or Search Engine Results Page (SERP) features, Google comes out with something new.
The most recent development to watch is called Indented Search Results, and it’s yet another example of how Google’s search platform is constantly evolving. According to reports, Google is trying to make its results more useful and easier to navigate. This new feature was first noticed back in June 2021 but it wasn’t until October that the full rollout occurred. Indenting some of the results makes it clear which ones are related to each other. This allows you to scan the results more quickly and find what you’re looking for.
Search engines are getting closer and closer to providing users with the ideal set of results for their needs with each new change. Indented search results are another step in that direction, and they may have a significant impact on how you optimise your site.
So what does this mean for your SEO strategy? This means that your website will need to be even more relevant and useful if you want to rank highly in the search results. This change could present opportunities and risks for business owners and their SEO strategies. As always, it’s important to be prepared and stay ahead of the curve to maintain a strong online presence.
What exactly are Indented Search Results?
If you’ve been using Google to search the web, you may have noticed that some of the results look different than they used to. Gone are the days when all of the results were simply lines of text arranged in a list. These days, some of the results are indented, as if they’re subheadings. But what does this change mean? And why did Google make it?
Indented search results are a type of search result that is commonly used by search engines. They are called “indented” because they are indented from the main text on the page. Indented search results are typically used for longer, more detailed searches. This can be useful if you’re looking for specific information on a subject, as well as avoiding accidentally clicking on a malicious or bogus website.
Indented search results are often used for product searches, where the product name is the main listing and the price, reviews, and other information is indented under it. It can also be used for local listings, where the business name is the main listing and the address, phone number, and hours are indented under it.
For example, if you were to search for “how to make a website,” you would likely see several indented search results. Each of these results would provide a different answer to your query, and each would be indented from the others. Indented search results are a great way to find more information on a topic, and they can be a useful tool for both web users and webmasters.
Indented search results can be helpful for users who want to quickly scan through results and get more information about each result. By including additional details, Google hopes to make it easier for people to find what they’re looking for.
What Are the Impacts of Indented SERPs on SEO?
The new indented SERPs can have a significant impact on SEO strategy, depending on how you look at it. On the one hand, it may seem like a small change, but on the other hand, it could mean big things for certain brands and websites. Here are some ways that indented SERPs will impact SEO:
- Indented SERPs will benefit brands. Because indented SERPs feature results from a single domain, they will be a boon for brands that have strong SEO rankings. By consolidating their results onto one page, brands will be able to increase their visibility and drive more traffic to their website.
- Increase in internal linking. One way to improve your SEO ranking is to build strong internal links between your web pages. With indented SERPs, it will be easier for users to navigate from one webpage to another within your website. As a result, building strong internal links will be even more important for improving your SEO ranking.
- Domains with lower rankings will be pushed to the next page of search engine results. One downside of indented SERPs is that they may push lower-ranking domains down to the second page of results. This could make it harder for users to find these websites and may lead to less traffic overall.
- Webpages with worse SEO rankings will not get a top position in the indented SERPs. This could lead to more competition for those top spots and ultimately result in less organic traffic for many websites.
Overall, the impact of this change remains to be seen, but it is certainly something that all businesses should be aware of.
Tips for On-Page SEO When Dealing with Indented SERPs
Anyone who has spent any time researching SEO knows that there are a lot of different ranking factors to take into account. However, one area that is often overlooked is on-page optimisation, especially when it comes to dealing with indented SERPs. Here are a few tips to keep in mind:
- Content cluster creation: Indented SERPs often feature multiple results from the same website. To take advantage of this, create content clusters around specific topics or keywords. This will help Google understand what your website is about and increase the chances of your content being featured in the indented SERPs.
- Title tags and meta description optimisation: Make sure your title tags and meta descriptions are optimised for your target keywords. This will help Google understand what your pages are about and increase the chances of them being featured in the search results.
- Content cannibalisation detection/prevention: One issue that can occur with content clusters is content cannibalisation, where multiple pages on your site compete for the same keywords. To avoid this, use a tool like Ahrefs to detect and prevent content cannibalisation.
- Internal linking optimisation: Internal links help Google understand the relationship between different pages on your website. By optimising your internal linking structure, you can help Google index your pages more effectively and improve your chances of being featured in the search results.
Partner With a Reputable SEO Company to Strengthen Your SEO Campaign
As the internet becomes more and more competitive, it’s important to have a strong SEO campaign to ensure that your business is visible online. Star Digital Marketing is a reputable SEO company that can help you strengthen your campaign and get the results you’re looking for.
We understand the importance of ranking high in search engines and we will work diligently to help you achieve this. We specialise in on-page optimisation, keyword research, and link building. We will also help you create compelling content that will engage and convert your audience.
With our help, you can dominate your competition and see a significant increase in traffic and conversions. If you’re ready to take your SEO to the next level, partner with Star Digital Marketing today.